Greetings from St. Charles, Illinois

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
basicbill

Greetings from St. Charles, Illinois

Postby basicbill » Mon, May 26 2014, 06:51 PM

Hello everyone,

My name is Bill and I live on the east side of St. Charles, Illinois. I've been lurking here for a while and I thought I'd introduce myself.

I go back to the Hi-Flier days of wood sticks and paper kites. Which should give you some idea of my age. Back then I would repair and make new diamond kites using newspaper, whatever wood I could scrounge and a flour and water mix as paste. I felt I had something really special when I made a colorful kite out of the Sunday Chicago Tribune comic section.

Time passed and life's stuff got in the way. Although my interest in kites was one of the things that got me into my aviation career. About thirty years ago I bought a couple of kites while I was on a business trip to New Orleans. I still have one small sled type from then. But that was about it for a while.

Fast forward to recently when I saw and talked to a gentleman flying his kite collection. That got me interested once more. I've recently purchased a few single-line kites just to get the feel of it again. I have an interest in photography and videography so the KAP thing is intriguing. And multi-line kites might be interesting, also. But I think I'll need some advice on which way to go on that.

I fly at the nearby East Side Sports Park in St Charles when the crowds permit. I see that a few of you fly there occasionally as well.

My wife and I wandered up to the event in Crystal Lake yesterday where light winds kept the kite fleet struggling to remain in the air.

Have a great day.

Bill

makatakam

Re: Greetings from St. Charles, Illinois

Postby makatakam » Mon, May 26 2014, 08:23 PM

Hi, and welcome to the IKE forum. I look forward to flying with you.

Check calendar (upper right) for upcoming events, and the club/quick fly topics to see where people will be, or post there when you will fly so perhaps one or more of us may join you.

Since you are already into aviation, the odds of becoming hooked on quad-line kites is great.

Good to have you on board.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

prairierose

Postby prairierose » Tue, May 27 2014, 05:57 AM

Welcome!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, May 27 2014, 07:27 AM

Welcome to the club!

FYI, we're pretty informal around here. We don't have regularly scheduled / monthly club fly events, but anyone can post a thread asking people to go out and fly, and pretty often someone can join you to fly with a few days notice. We fly all over the place since our members are pretty spread out between Chicago and downstate. You can always start a "club fly" thread if you are thinking you'll go out to fly some weekend. In addition, if you can make it to any festivals or to any "club fly" events, I'm sure club members (myself included) will let you try out some multi-line kites. I don't have many dual line kites, but plenty of quad line Revolutions if you'd like to try those.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Tue, May 27 2014, 06:15 PM

Yep. We have a couple of people in Wheaton. A couple in Sugar Grove. Elgin (where is Xay by the way?). We're usually willing to share our kites if you're interested in trying some out as well. We usually have some SLK's on hand too. If you want to fly, I need an excuse. I've missed everything the last few weeks to support family endeavors.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Tue, May 27 2014, 07:14 PM

Thanks all for the welcome.

I'm fairly sure that if I do go the multi-line route that it would be with a quad line kite. I like how controllable they seem in the hands of a skilled flyer. I've considered buying one of the less expensive types such as the Mojo or VolksQuad as an introduction and trainer. It's not that the Revs are terribly expensive at the low end, but I would hate to make that investment and not use it. Or beat it to death while learning. Maybe someone has a used quad that they would wish to sell.

Another quiet place that I've found for kite flying is the Burlington Prairie Forest Preserve http://www.kaneforest.com/ForestPreserveView.aspx?ID=10 in northwestern Kane County and northwest of Burlington. Pretty much wide open and surrounded by mostly clover and tall grass. Here's a "Photosynth" that I produced of it after I was out there a few weeks ago. http://bit.ly/burlpfp About a 30 minute drive from St. Charles.

I got away for a bit this afternoon to the East Side Sports Complex while the wind was fresh and got my "Multi Kite" airborne. This is supposed to be both a single and dual-line sport kite. I've basically converted it to full time SLK.

P1350381.jpg
P1350381.jpg (109.36 KiB) Viewed 2334 times

Bill

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, May 27 2014, 07:37 PM

Hmmm .... I wonder if there's anyone with a used Rev he would be willing to sell? ;-)

Of course, you should try before you buy, so we'd have to get together for a fun fly . . . .

The challenge with getting a Rev is . . . . you might want more than one . . . .

Mytoyz

Postby Mytoyz » Tue, May 27 2014, 08:42 PM

My first flight on triggers quad hooked me. Brought me to the dark side, wondering how many I would need. Vent , non vent, SLE, B2. It's madness, addiction, greed, al rolled into one. I was a simple slk'er converted to duals and quads and I can't stop. My name is Dennis, and I'm a kitoholic.
Blue skies and Steady Winds

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Tue, May 27 2014, 08:55 PM

Something that I'm curious about regarding the Revs. To what size do they break down for storage? Is assembly difficult? My Honda Fit is not built for large items unless I want to fold the seats down and such. I'd prefer not to.

Bill

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, May 27 2014, 08:57 PM

Mytoyz wrote:My name is Dennis, and I'm a kitoholic.

I'd rather not talk about my kite "problem," if there even is one. Not that there is, really. I was just asking for a friend. You know. Not for myself.

I don't have a problem. Sure, I forget about kites I may have "hypothetically" purchased (in Jeff's car trunk for a while), and I might not be able to remember if I went flying some time, but who doesn't have those sorts of issues and kite "blackouts" from time to time. It's nothing. I'm sure I could stop any time.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, May 27 2014, 09:02 PM

basicbill wrote:Something that I'm curious about regarding the Revs. To what size do they break down for storage? Is assembly difficult? My Honda Fit is not built for large items unless I want to fold the seats down and such. I'd prefer not to.

Bill

They break down into a nice, small roll about 34 inches long (in the sleeve). You can fit . . . . a lot of revs . . . in a Fit. Mikey and Shari (you'll meet them soon) often show up in a Miata, and they bring a bag full of Revs every time they fly. The 180Go! team bag fits at least 12 Revs plus line sets into a bag a bit over a yard long and less than a foot in diameter. Plus spare rods, etc.
Last edited by goestoeleven on Tue, May 27 2014, 09:30 PM, edited 2 times in total.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Tue, May 27 2014, 09:20 PM

Funny. I just got a Rev bag and it looks very empty with only 3 kites in it. They don't tell you that when you buy it. A convenient, just small enough, storage and transportation device.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, May 27 2014, 09:29 PM

TMadz wrote:Funny. I just got a Rev bag and it looks very empty with only 3 kites in it. They don't tell you that when you buy it. A convenient, just small enough, storage and transportation device.

You can put other non-Rev kites in it, you know ;) :jester:

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, May 28 2014, 01:27 PM

goestoeleven wrote:
TMadz wrote:Funny. I just got a Rev bag and it looks very empty with only 3 kites in it. They don't tell you that when you buy it. A convenient, just small enough, storage and transportation device.

You can put other non-Rev kites in it, you know ;) :jester:

Blasphemy!
Oh, and welcome to the club Bill!

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Wed, May 28 2014, 08:47 PM

Welcome, Bill. Don't buy a quad-line kite until you fly a Rev. How? I was surprised at how willing ... no, eager, IKE members are to loan their Revs to newbies. Show up wherever they are and one of them will put a set of handles in you hands. Then, you can decide whether to invest in a Rev. OBTW, watch out for the cookies!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, May 28 2014, 09:36 PM

Mike wrote:Blasphemy!

What?!? Should I not have said that? What about the Deca A-1? It has four lines . . . .

Besides, I'm a pagan pan-kite-ist . . . so I'm a blasphemer anyway and beyond redemption :twisted: . Therefore, I'll put whatever I want in my Rev bag . . .
:oops: . . . assuming I can find room by pulling some Revs out . . . . :oops:

Actually, stuff as many kites of all varieties as you can in that Rev bag . . . then as you add Revs to your collection, you can pull out the non-Rev kites . . . and put them in their own bag . . .

Bill, as Kitevoice mentioned, meet up with us, and you'll get to fly all kinds of stuff . . . . except I don't have many dual line kites . . . so that's all kinds of rev stuff in my case.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Wed, May 28 2014, 10:14 PM

Last edited by makatakam on Wed, May 28 2014, 10:20 PM, edited 1 time in total.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Wed, May 28 2014, 10:18 PM

Hey, Bill

Don't buy a Mojo or Volksquad until you have at least flown a Rev long enough to maintain and understand control of quad-line kites. The 1.5 Rev kites are much more forgiving to a first-time quad-line flyer. Both of these kites are more difficult to learn to control. You will probably do more damage to the kite, and will need to replace parts, which will bring your cost to about the same as an entry level Rev.

As Steve said, try before you buy. I and everyone else in the club will be more than happy to let you try theirs, unless you absolutely gotta have one right now or else you'll go into spasms kind of thing, then go ahead and get one now.

There will probably some of us getting together at Michigan City this Saturday, try to make it there. If not, I can fly anytime this weekend. I live in Schaumburg and Busse Woods is a great place to fly, ask any of the people in the club. If you can't do Michigan City, call me at 224.227.0638 and we can arrange to fly almost anytime when you have time (I'm semi-retardedretired.
MARK

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Thu, May 29 2014, 09:15 PM

makatakam wrote:Hey, Bill

Don't buy a Mojo or Volksquad until you have at least flown a Rev long enough to maintain and understand control of quad-line kites. The 1.5 Rev kites are much more forgiving to a first-time quad-line flyer. Both of these kites are more difficult to learn to control. You will probably do more damage to the kite, and will need to replace parts, which will bring your cost to about the same as an entry level Rev.

As Steve said, try before you buy. I and everyone else in the club will be more than happy to let you try theirs, unless you absolutely gotta have one right now or else you'll go into spasms kind of thing, then go ahead and get one now.

There will probably some of us getting together at Michigan City this Saturday, try to make it there. If not, I can fly anytime this weekend. I live in Schaumburg and Busse Woods is a great place to fly, ask any of the people in the club. If you can't do Michigan City, call me at 224.227.0638 and we can arrange to fly almost anytime when you have time (I'm semi-retardedretired.

Thanks. I've been looking around and the entry level Rev kite price is not all that high. I'll wait a while and hopefully get a chance to fly with someone before buying.

Bill

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Thu, May 29 2014, 10:37 PM

You know what? I didn't fly OPK (other people kites) much and I could have saved myself some money up front if I had. That being said, A Rev EXP is a great starter and you can get one any time. On the other hand, trial and error to find what you like and getting it cheaper while waiting for a deal has it's merit's too. I have bought most of my Rev's second hand, but bought the EXP new. I use it to beat on while learning something new and loan it to my son or someone who needs a kite to fly. I am not one of those fliers that needs matching sail patterns for their standards, mid-vent , full vent and extra vent revs. If it's cheap, it's for me. Fly with us and you'll get plenty of opportunity to fly and try out different kites. I will say that Rev's are pretty sturdy. You have to do a lot to break them. Just stay a way from Makatakam's. He always mods his kites. ;)

Return to “Introductions”