Finally made it to IKE

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
SHBKF

Finally made it to IKE

Postby SHBKF » Sat, Aug 13 2016, 09:17 PM

Just joined a little bit ago. Was doing a search on the Revolution Reflex & decided to read the forum topic on the kite. Found myself quoted there & figured it was a sign I should join. Have been flying actively for four years now. Had some past experience in kites but had a long period of distractions that was interrupted when I bought a Prism Flip at the LL Bean Clearance store in Freeport Maine on that fateful day. Next trip was to Myrtle Beach SC & I bought a Prism SnapShot 1.2. Things began to get serious after that & my life became filled with kites. I fly dualies, quads - Revs & foils, SLK's, gliders & aspire to be able to fly most kites. No ambition toward the water aspect though.

I live in the western end of Virginia in the mountains. Flying conditions are inland mountain valleys in a temperate rain forest environment. Not too many other fliers round these parts. Summers are SUL conditions with gusty thermal weather at times. Fall & winter are the stronger winds but gusty is still a predominant theme. The forums have helped me tremendously as I would be quite isolated without them. Hope to hear from you all. SHBKF

makatakam

Re: Finally made it to IKE

Postby makatakam » Sun, Aug 14 2016, 12:20 PM

It's nice to have you on the IKE forum also. IKE is not limited to Illinois flyers, although it is based here. You'll probably recognize my avatar from the other kite forums, and will probably see a few other ones that are familiar. Some of the club members make it to Wildwood each year, so you may have an opportunity to meet. We have an annual club "retreat" which this year falls on September 24th and 25th. If you're in the area swing on by Indiana Dunes State Park, just north of Chesterton Indiana. Many of the kiters from Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana, as well as a couple of states much further away come and join in the fun. We fly on the beach and a good time is had by all. Last year we had about 17 Revs in the air plus assorted dualies and singles.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Aug 15 2016, 04:53 PM

Welcome to the club!
Be sure to check out where 180GO! is flying. Maybe we can meet up sometime.
We haven't been traveling as much just lately, but you never know where we'll be next year:
http://180go.com/schedule.html

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Aug 16 2016, 10:26 PM

Howdy, and happy to have you here. Gusty and thermals (or no wind) - sounds like Illinois in the summer! But without the mountains.

SHBKF

Postby SHBKF » Wed, Aug 17 2016, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the nice welcome. Another hot August day with afternoon thunderstorms likely. I tried flying in front of storms a few times. But the thunder & lightening are a bit of a concern to say the least. Late September brings the nice fall winds that I look forward to each year now. Hay fields will all be mowed giving many places to look for the wind. The rolling terrain in the valleys create some interesting wind patterns. A few spots I have found are mid way up a slope where the wind comes across a hollow more smoothly & accelerates as it moves up the slope. But these locations only work if the wind is from a particular direction. The image above shows me flying the 4D off the top of a hill in zero to 2mph wind that was changing direction with each puff. It was a session where I was having an ah ha moment learning about maintaining sail pressure to allow very light wind flying. West wind is common in my area but sometimes the east wind brings the smoothest flying. Most sessions only last a short time with setting up three different kites & flying each in turn as the wind rises & falls. Inland trick flying can be just keeping a kite in the air. But I have gained light wind skills that will work anywhere I travel. I'm sure this all sounds familiar. SHBKF

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Aug 17 2016, 10:42 AM

You and I have some shared things with kite flying. I used to set up two or three kites as well to swap out based on the wind at the moment. I haven't spent enough time on dual line though...... Pretty much stuck on revs and single line. Need more flying time......

prairierose

Postby prairierose » Sat, Aug 20 2016, 01:07 PM

Welcome!

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Wed, Aug 24 2016, 05:48 AM

Welcome to IKE!

Big Mike

Return to “Introductions”