Grinnell Last Week

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
chicagokite

Grinnell Last Week

Postby chicagokite » Mon, May 07 2007, 02:52 PM

Crazy winds for all. 22 to 35 gust
www.chicagokite.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike

Re: Grinnell Last Week

Postby Mike » Tue, May 08 2007, 08:51 AM

As usual I brought a camera, but forgot to take photos. Sometimes I bring two cameras and don't take pictures!

Maybe Banshee took photos?

We had strong winds which scared some of the mega-kite guys, but the sport kites and not so mega-kites were flying most of the day.
I had a great time flying with Rose and Chris. I finally met Banshee, a real nice guy.
Also met some friendly and interested townsfolk and many fun members of the Kansas Kite club.

I gave Rose a set of mis-matched 120' lines, but once we figured that out and evened up the lines, we flew some nice 3 person team flying.
I flew the 3-stack of rev IIs a bit but it really dragged me around. In the late afternoon, I even managed to get airborne!
So then Rose and I flew a single Rev II in our club colors. That was a hoot in the strong winds. That thing was a blur when it spinned!

Chris flew indoors for the first time and even did a demo that evening to the biggest applause of the night!

Rose headed off in the evening to a dance at the college and Chris and I did some night flying. Those finger lights from Wal-Mart / Wal-Greens are very bright and look cool--while they are on. Mine kept turning themselves off.

All in all, a great festival. We may even have some new members, I gave out several cards.
Next year they will try to schedule it so that it doesn't conflict with Galesburg and Chicago. Probably on Mother's Day weekend.

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Thu, May 10 2007, 03:01 AM

I'm in agreement with Mike on Grinnell. A very nice small town USA festival. It was a pleasure to finally hook up with Mike and to see Chris once again. Two very tenacious quad line flyers. There were also about 6 or 7 member of the kitebuilders forum there, another group of good people. The crowd was very receptive and friendly, just hometown folks. To me that was very refreshing. Needless to say, the winds never stopped. I broke a spreader in my green eyed tiger rok and destroyed an old friend, my 17 y/old Genki finally flew it last dance.

When you needed to get out of thewind there was an excellent display of kite memorabilia on display. The collection belongs to Thomas E Cross from the Minnesota Kite Society. His collection consisted of everything from postcards to the old paper eddy kites. A very interesting display to say the least.

Kudos to Dick and Sis Vogel for a fun event.

Banshee
Ceaser viveret ad remum dareris

Think MAKR 2010

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Thu, May 10 2007, 09:49 AM

Yes a big thanks to sis and dick for a great fest.
Winds never stoped

David
www.chicagokite.com

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Thu, May 10 2007, 10:57 AM

:lol: Mimi looks like you need to feed her more often Mike! Must be the wind or the kids pulling on her.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, May 10 2007, 12:18 PM

actually, the photos seem to be out of whack. They appear stretched in one direction.

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Thu, May 10 2007, 01:18 PM

phot was sized to fit but not altered mimi was inflated

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Thu, May 10 2007, 01:26 PM

does this look better ? still looks very inflated cool
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kiteguy

Postby kiteguy » Thu, May 10 2007, 04:55 PM

Notice the 6 spin socks in the background. 8ft, 10 ft, and bigger ones. I was unable to put any other laundry out that day, as I was afraid my line would not handle the load. It was singing quite loudly. I put a sound amplifier on the line (A paper cup on a string) so passing spectators could hear the kite line talking/singing to us. Quite loud!
Do you want a new kite? Build one! Enjoy it three ways, planning, construction, flying.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Thu, May 10 2007, 10:19 PM

kiteguy wrote:Notice the 6 spin socks in the background. 8ft, 10 ft, and bigger ones. I was unable to put any other laundry out that day, as I was afraid my line would not handle the load. It was singing quite loudly. I put a sound amplifier on the line (A paper cup on a string) so passing spectators could hear the kite line talking/singing to us. Quite loud!

Oh hey, you get back here and explain how you did that sound amplifier, Mr. Kiteguy! :wink:

Please. :mrblue:
TTFN,

Draftnik

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Fri, May 11 2007, 01:47 AM

Drafty,

KG tied off his line to his little finger and all the sound transmitted through him and out of his mouth.........Man, can he sing

Banshee

Think MAKR 2010

kiteguy

Postby kiteguy » Thu, May 31 2007, 04:27 AM

Draftnik wrote:Oh hey, you get back here and explain how you did that sound amplifier, Mr. Kiteguy! :wink:

Please. :mrblue:

OK, remember when you were a whippersnapper and you made that string "telephone" with two cans and a piece of string?

Well, the sound amplifier was just 1/2 of the "telephone". I used a Micky D. paper cup. I tied the loose end of the string to the kite line, about head high.

It would barely hum, but when one would take a firm grip on the and tighten the line between the cup and kite line the vibrations were amplified so they could be heard quite a long way. Really loud, up close.

There are more complicated versions, but this is a quick way for an impromptu performance.
Do you want a new kite? Build one! Enjoy it three ways, planning, construction, flying.

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Oct 05 2007, 03:28 PM

I just got a copy of the local paper in the mail today. Here's a couple photos:
In the first photo from left to right: Me, Rose and Chris R.

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Fri, Oct 05 2007, 04:28 PM

Just as I remembered, a ROSE between two thorns..........

I just couldn't resist.

Banshee

Think MAKR 2010

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Oct 05 2007, 11:14 PM

:rotfl :rotfl

TOO FUNNY!!
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Oct 06 2007, 08:08 AM

:roll: :rotfl
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”