Oswego

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
Knoted4ever

Re: Oswego

Postby Knoted4ever » Sun, Apr 22 2007, 10:39 PM

Al, i was one of those who said i'd help to get stuff down. i didn't have a watch, so couldn't know when you would be packing up time-wise. That's why i said to yell to me and call me over when you needed help. i got wrapped up (not my lines) with newbies wanting to learn some basics and with flying activities in general, and when i looked your way you were pretty much packed up! Sorry about that! Next time i'll try to wear a watch; and please try to get my attention when it's time too. :wink:

The Quad Team without a Name... i like that a lot! You guys looked great! :up:

i ate no popcorn, but did buy Gatoraide... and not nearly enough of it!

Jeff, i think that i was very dehydrated too! It seemed like no amount of liquids was enough. :shock: i didn't put sunscreen on my arms; my arms are pretty darn red today! Next time i'm going to bring plenty of liquids! When i got home, i drank and drank and...

Oswego was a lot of fun! What a sweet field! It was great seeing a lot of U there! :mrblue:
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Sun, Apr 22 2007, 11:03 PM

Tom,

You were one of the ones who said to flag them down, there were two others arranged to show up at three. I had help getting the Trilobite down, but then he had to go take care of his own kites. When the Bite was packed and I looked around for help with the octopus, it appeared as if everyone had left. I assume my timing was bad as I did not see any kites in the air and did not see any red shirts period. So, as the soccer players were impatient, I did what I had to and brought it down myself. I keep being told I should have asked for help. If I had seen anything but empty field, I would have. I did not see where everyone had gone until I was driving home to try and get the paint off the octopus, I assume that the Chicago Kite tent blocked my view.

I am sure that everyone would have helped, if I had seen them. I did not, so I spent a couple of hours doing tear down and packing. Its over. Done. Finished.
Alan Sparling

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Mon, Apr 23 2007, 09:29 AM

hi Guys

winds were great sat fest was a nice turn out all the kites looked. nice pics jeff
Al good thing mike was there and we were able to get you car out there .
It going to take a while for every one to figure out you need halp at the end of the day and grab all the # so they can help?

Thanks for the nice turn out

Dave
www.chicagokite.com

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Apr 23 2007, 01:48 PM

Thanks to being able to watch Zach Gordon do Rev axle's on Saturday, I was able to perform my first Rev axle today. It was only 1 out of about 10 tries but hey, it's a start!

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Apr 23 2007, 02:04 PM

chicagokite wrote:hi Guys

winds were great sat fest was a nice turn out all the kites looked. nice pics jeff
Al good thing mike was there and we were able to get you car out there .
It going to take a while for every one to figure out you need halp at the end of the day and grab all the # so they can help?

Thanks for the nice turn out

Dave
www.chicagokite.com

Here's one for Chicago Kite...

Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Mon, Apr 23 2007, 09:55 PM

Al, i sure hope that you managed to get most of that paint off of the Octopus. That is really sad. :( i was remarking to you about how nice i thought it looked! You mentioned that you favored the black colored Octopus a bit better; i'm sure that you were not interested in having it repainted on Saturday!

Someone walked off with my line winder; not a big deal... but, at Grand Haven, last year, i left my kite bag and equipment and just went walking around far from where it was located. i think this year i may be a little more careful!
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Mon, Apr 23 2007, 10:14 PM

I got the paint off, I just don't know the long term effects, if any. I went immediately home and first tried water alone to no avail. I then swallowed hard and used a mild solvent (Goo Gone a mild citric acid), surprisingly it worked, but I have no idea as to long term damage to the coating or fabric. I did rinse the tentacle for a very long time in the shower ( not a good Earth Day activity). Years ago, when I flew sport kites, (yes a really long time ago), I used the same stuff on a Jordan Air Pro and never saw a difference, so I am hopeful. I spent part of tonight at an activity that would probably earn me a place in a mental institution from a casual observer. I spent an hour rubbing dirt into the now cleaner tentacle to make it match the others.
Alan Sparling

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Apr 24 2007, 08:09 AM

You should be fine with Goo Gone. Alot of kitebuilders use that to get adhesives off their kites when they're building. That finish is pretty tough. I watched a builder at MAKR using some sort of brake cleaner to knock adhesive off a kite! :shock: Given that, that builder was Cliff Quinn, I don't believe even that stuff does a lick of harm to the ripstop.

Glad to hear you got it all off!
TTFN,
Draftnik

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Tue, Apr 24 2007, 08:59 AM

I was lucky that although dry to the touch, the paint had not cured at all. If it had the Goo Gone would not have touched it. As to if there will be any long term effect, I hope not,but I had to scrub a lot harder and longer than you do to get spray adhesive off.

If I can get some of the purple fabric PL is using now, I will scrub a spot in the center of one square, rinse it and nail it on a board side by side with an untouched piece and the leave it in the sun for the summer. Many of the claims that something harms or does not harm fabric / coating are anecdotal and have no proof. Having worked in an R&D environment for almost 30 years, I don't trust anecdotal claims, so I will try to prove this one. Not that it will change anything with the octopus, but it is an easy test to do and I will feel better knowing.
Alan Sparling

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Apr 24 2007, 09:34 AM

The guys on KB would tell you to make the samples into a flags for the antenna on your vehicle and drive them around for a year to simulate wind too.

There was also a discussion over there awhile back about a spray to put on ripstop to protect it further. I don't remember it all. It was intended to keep it clean, and maybe had some UV inhibitors. Thought about trying it on my kids to keep them clean! :lol:
TTFN,

Draftnik

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Tue, Apr 24 2007, 10:16 AM

Nice pic Jeff

Thanks looking good hope we can get more over the summer

:thanks: :LogoRevAni:
Dave
www.chicagokite.com

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Apr 25 2007, 08:45 PM

i'm very glad that you managed to get that paint off, Al! i'm sure that what you went through must be very similar to someone having a new Harley Davidson or Corvette... and then some fool rams into it or whatever. :roll:
Tom P.

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Apr 26 2007, 07:49 PM

Some photos were posted online at NeigborhoodCircle. Here's the lead photo:

(bigger version of the photo here.)

"Mike Kory, a resident of Champaign and member of the Illinois Kite Enthusiasts club was asked why he would travel 150 miles to go fly a kite. “It’s all part of the fun,â€

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, Apr 26 2007, 09:59 PM

Very nice pics and interesting article! It sure was a superb field and a great time! :mrblue: Babbman and Chris and those of you who live so nearby to that splendid field are extremely lucky!
Tom P.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Thu, Apr 26 2007, 10:01 PM

:bash: :clap Yea!!

:guns: Now, no more butt shots.

:mrorange:

Seriously, those pics and an article outa get to Bob Ram.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Apr 27 2007, 02:16 AM

I must of had my mouth open again, thats why they cut me out. Besides I dont mind sharing the spot light with fellow club members, because I AM ALWAYS in the papers somewhere. :P :mrblue:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri, Apr 27 2007, 05:14 AM

What do you mean Ken? If you look closely, you can see your lines! :wink:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Apr 27 2007, 06:18 AM

I thought this one was pretty cute

"Sandwich's Julian Tapp, 5, before liftoff of a giant pink balloon kite."

My caption would have been...

"And with a clap of thunder, Mimi LIFTED off the ground... and went 2 feet in the air.."

lol... we have a lot of work to do peoples....

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Invis

Postby Invis » Fri, Apr 27 2007, 08:29 AM

I don't know how that photographer got that picture without Al being in it. I kept telling him the big kites belonged to Al and he insisted I get in the picture next to Al. Where's AL? We were standing right next to each other. I guess as big as I am the guy wasn't carrying a wide angle lens! Sorry Al...I stole your shot.

Denny

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Fri, Apr 27 2007, 08:44 AM

It does not matter, I have run out of room to put up articles at work. I put the color ones up to show people where I keep disappearing to, and now have about 50 articles up. So one less article does not matter.
Alan Sparling

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”