Oswego

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
Jeff

Re: Oswego

Postby Jeff » Fri, Apr 20 2007, 11:10 PM

Draftnik wrote:
Jeff, so glad your going to make it!!

Me too, although I'd like to get there earlier than I'll be able to. My wife has some stuff to do in the morning and I have to stay for the kiddo, so by the time I can leave here, plus the 90 minute drive, it may be 10:30 or 11:00 before I get there.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Sat, Apr 21 2007, 06:24 PM

Well it was a good fly until the end. As I struggled to get the octopus down (I did look around for help and saw none) an idiot with a paint can sprayed a marking on a soccer field right beside a tentacle which promptly went in the paint. :x

I got most / all of it off, but I have no idea what I have done to the coating. bummer
Alan Sparling

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Sat, Apr 21 2007, 07:13 PM

Sorry about disappearing, I knew that if I had any chance at getting the paint off the kite, I had to do it immediately. And I was not in a mood condusive to good times.
Alan Sparling

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Sat, Apr 21 2007, 08:11 PM

Oh dear! It was such a beautiful day, it's too bad it had to end for you on a bad note. Your kites looked great, and now that I've seen the Octopus With No Name, :-) I'll have to go back to the Berck pics and look for it again.

Quad Guys (also with no name, that are gonna get stuck with that one soon!) you're looking good! We had a great seat to watch you fly framed under the arch. Nice placement of that!

Knoted, you can trick the living :poop outa that kite. Holy moly! Did you even get any popcorn?

Mimi-it's a hoot to watch the kids playing with her!

Cool moment-seeing the look of wonder on the face of a 6mo old in her fathers arms as she reached out to touch the edge of a banner. Hard to say which face was more expressive, hers or her fathers watching her.

Haven't shown JJ the pic of the Cody yet, gonna have to choose my moment there, cause that's something he'd have really liked to see.

Very good to see every one survived, the off season, hail and hearty and out enjoying the day.

I'm still savoring the day, right down to the crinkely over sunned feel of my cheeks and nose. :wink:
Last edited by Draftnik on Sat, Apr 21 2007, 08:15 PM, edited 1 time in total.
TTFN,
Draftnik

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Sat, Apr 21 2007, 08:13 PM

There was popcorn?
Alan Sparling

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Apr 21 2007, 08:45 PM

Oh, Al, all you have to do is ask! There were at least four of us available to give a hand. Next time let us know... :up:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Apr 21 2007, 08:57 PM

Here's just a few of the pics from Oswego...what a great way to start the new season!! :mrgreen: :mrblue: :mrorange: :mrviolet:

I can't even put into words how great today was :LogoRevAni:

OK, I can....FUN :P

[albumimg]830[/albumimg][albumimg]831[/albumimg][albumimg]832[/albumimg][albumimg]833[/albumimg]

Anyhow, IKE is here, and we are a force to be reckoned with! :SLKani:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Sat, Apr 21 2007, 09:09 PM

That is the problem with flying big kites, you don't see the rest of the festival, so you don't even know that there is popcorn (or whatever) to ask someone to get it for you. I did get a bathroom break, but that was the only time I left the field. I was not comfortable leaving the immediate area given the number of parents with very small children wandering under the kites.

I did look for help in getting the octopus down when we were getting pushed off the field by the soccer teams. I have no idea where everyone had gone, but there was not a red shirt to be seen. Maybe everyone had already moved across the street. Luckily, a spectator held the kite down after I got it on the ground while I got the pilot down. I would have waited for help if the coaches were not having a cow. Then the idiot with the spray can showed up. That is what ruined my day. An almost brand new show kite and someone with no thought of other people's property. Not an ideal combination.
Alan Sparling

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Sat, Apr 21 2007, 11:05 PM

Hey...Those guys in the good lookig red shirts look like they might be flying together. Yup.....I think they are flying together. Is that iQuad? No, I don't think they went to Oswago. Team Too Much Fun?........ No, there would be two ladys, this looks like all guys. Who are those guys? I think I know the guy on the right, but the other three? Don't know, but it sure looks like they're having a good time.

Looking great!!!!

Jim :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin:
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat, Apr 21 2007, 11:11 PM

IKE is on Image too!

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Sun, Apr 22 2007, 10:29 AM

Nice pictures

Calmer today, although I would still like to take the spray can from the idiot marking the fields and go use it right beside his car and see how he liked it.

As bringing thr kites down, I am disappointed that the two people that promised to help at three did not show, but I am used to that happening. It would have been easier with help.

As to asking for help. I don't expect other people to baby sit my kites, I was glad to get a bathroom break, but the kites are my responsibility. Some big kite fliers are comfortable to turn their backs on the kites and wander a festival. I am not. I have seen how quickly things can turn ugly, and let alone the liability issues, I really don't want to hurt someone. Most if not all of the bad / dangerous situations I have seen have resulted from fliers not paying attention to their kites. So, I generally don't leave a field unless it is well secured and/or there are other big kite fliers watching the kites. This complicates asking for help if no one is near.

Now let's bury this subject and go back to saying how nice the flying part of the festival was.
Alan Sparling

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Apr 22 2007, 11:57 AM

I'm not quite ready to bury the subject.
Al, as a club, we are thrilled to have you at events.
And, as a club we will help with setup and takedown as a minimum.

If you don't already have my cell phone number, I'll get it to you. Please call me at anytime during a festival if you need help. Either I, or some kind volunteer will help you out. I hate to imagine you having to stand for hours hopping up and down with your legs crossed waiting for a bathroom break :-D

We will work out a plan in Decatur.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Sun, Apr 22 2007, 12:15 PM

You should have my cell number too. I've usually got kids about that are willing go'fers. I had fun helping out yesterday for the short time I was out there.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun, Apr 22 2007, 12:58 PM

Mike wrote:I'm not quite ready to bury the subject.
Al, as a club, we are thrilled to have you at events.
And, as a club we will help with setup and takedown as a minimum.

What he said.

Or, in the common vernacular of internet message boards... +1.

;)

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Apr 22 2007, 02:16 PM

I was going to suggest the exact same thing Al... I'll give you my cell number also... although it wouldn't have helped yesterday as I left at 2pm...lol

As a member of this club, you are entitled to our help and I am more than willing to give it to you any time you need it while I am there. NEVER be afraid or unwilling to ask or I'LL paint your kite... :rotfl

The part you play in the festivals is very important as far as I'm concerned and without you there, it just isn't as visible and shocking and cool to those who have never seen the big kites before.

When I left and went over to Naperville for Drumshow, I heard a great many people talking about seeing the Octopus as they drove through Oswego to the show. You literally had traffic stopped out on the main road and people were gawking at what you had up.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Apr 22 2007, 02:21 PM

Ugh... finally, the end of my obligations for a little while... I left at 2pm to go over to Naperville Central High School and ran a show at 3 and 7:30pm. When I got home at 10:30, I had yet ANOTHER video to put together for Church this morning and had to be there at 8am to play 2 services..

Finally I'm done and now that I am done, Jenny has a honey-do list for me... it will never end.... :rotfl

I had a great time at Oswego yesterday but the time went so fast it was unreal... Had a great time flying...

So, what actually happened after 2pm over there? Did the soccer players just take over the fields at 3pm? What did the rest of you do and what time did you get out of there?

A really big thanks goes to David for getting my Barressi in time for the show... what a great kite... what a great hole in my wallet!

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Apr 22 2007, 06:17 PM

When they started to setup for soccer we just moved across the street and flew some more!
Jeff was doing really well on my rev. I think we'll have a new team member before not too long.
It was hard to stop flying while the wind was blowin' and the sun was out, but we got hungry enough to finally call it quits and Tom, Ken, Chris and I went to a Red Robin for dinner. It was after 8pm by the time I headed home.

I really enjoy the meals we've had after club files and festivals. I'm not very good at wandering away from my kite at a festival so I don't socialize much with the rest of the club members during the day. It's nice to catch up at the meals.

I hope more of you can join us next time.

And I can't wait for Decatur!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun, Apr 22 2007, 07:05 PM

By the time I left, I had a pretty nasty sinus headache going. I made two important mistakes. I didn't drink enough water, and I didn't put on sunscreen. I think I was really dehydrated, and roasted. I stopped for something to drink on my way out to my friend's house, and guzzled a lot more water once I got there. After a couple hours, I felt 100% better.

Note to self: Items to bring for next festival...

A case of bottled water
Sunscreen
Chapstick

;)

IKE is on Image too!

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Sun, Apr 22 2007, 08:34 PM

Mike wrote:When they started to setup for soccer we just moved across the street and flew some more!

Which explains why when I looked around for help, there was not a red shirt in sight, You would have been on the other side of the tents from me.
Alan Sparling

SkyWalker

Postby SkyWalker » Sun, Apr 22 2007, 08:36 PM

howdy Jeff,

Thanks for sharing your photos...much appreciated! Looks like it was a gorgeous day for a kite festival...beautiful field to fly on too. I may just have to add that one to next year's fly schedule.

As it was, our Regional Director & I hung out together at the Muskego Public Library & did a National Kite Month 'workshop' of sorts....which no one even bothered to show up for. Too nice a day to be stuck indoors apparently.

In head sight, we should've packed our kite gear into Bob's little drag racer & headed down to Illinois to join the rest of yas!!! Had he kicked it down, betcha we could've made the trip in about an hour or so (fun car)

Glad to hear that most of you had a great time. Major bummer about Al's new octo though....OUCH!!!!! Gotta luv them soccer kiddies & their parents :x :x :x We could start a whole new thread here on THAT issue...gggrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Photos / Video

Broke down the other day & finally replaced my 'old' digital camera - which had taken a digger at Kites On Ice a couple years ago. New cam does audio/video as well as stills, so I'm hoping to share some interesting vid clips soon. My kiter buddy Bob Stolz & I headed over to our favorite kiting spot this afternoon. Hauled Peter Lynn's giant Tri-D cellular kite along for my 1st 'test flight'. However, after testing the winds with an 11ft delta I decided it was too risky (quite fresh...not to mention gusty). Perhaps later this week!!

Any preference here as to which video format to use?? (avi / mpg / divx / etc)

get high on kites,

Jeff Hale - SkyWalker
(Neenah, WI)
Last edited by SkyWalker on Sun, Apr 22 2007, 11:27 PM, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”