Naperville fly june 2-3

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
Babbman

Re: Naperville fly june 2-3

Postby Babbman » Thu, May 31 2007, 10:00 AM

looks like we could play in the water on Saturday.... :-D

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

chicagokite

Re: Naperville Fly June 2-3

Postby chicagokite » Thu, May 31 2007, 10:10 AM

hopefully

the water will wait till night :shock: :rotfl
www.chicagokite.com

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, May 31 2007, 11:57 AM

That's a useful graphic Jeff, thanks.
We don't know yet where power will be for the vendors. So we can't really set up the field yet.

Setting up ideal the field:
It's good to give the mega kites a spot where they can draw in traffic from the street and be out of the way of the public SLKs.
The sport kiters need a nice spot where they are somewhat protected from the SLKs too, but they don't need to be seen from the street. They need to be near any sound system that's available, and in a spot the public can gather and watch. And then we need room for the public to fly their kites but situated where their kites don't fly over the sport kiters and cut their lines. The public doesn't like to walk very far from where they buy their kites, so that's another thing to take into account. If a lot of IKE members with SLKs show up, in an ideal world, it would be nice to have yet another field labeled for "AKA members" for beginner sport kiters as well as SLKs.

Of course all those factions want to be where the best wind is....

Also, it's nice to have a nice "flow" to lure the public along to visit all the areas.

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Thu, May 31 2007, 07:57 PM

Mike wrote:That's a useful graphic Jeff, thanks.
And then we need room for the public to fly their kites but situated where their kites don't fly over the sport kiters and cut their lines.

Please remember that I am also flying on spectra. Yes it is 1800# spectra, but it is still easily cut.

Week seven and I am getting even grumpier. Yes, that is a scary thought. No, I don't know if you can tell the difference.
Alan Sparling

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Fri, Jun 01 2007, 05:00 PM

Hey guys

there is soccer till 945 am then the field is ours if you guys get there early you can fly on the other field were we were last year.

see you there :thanks: :up: :LogoRevAni: :revspin: :rotfl

www.chicagokite.com
Dave

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, Jun 01 2007, 09:27 PM

The chance of rain has gone from 60% to 40% in the last 24 hours, so I'll take that as a good sign.

Regardless, I think any rain will be of the isolated storm variety. Still, that can mess things up when it hits. I guess I'll get there nice and early so I can have as close a parking spot as possible. Shorter run to get my stuff out of the rain. ;)
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat, Jun 02 2007, 11:27 PM

What a great day! The rain held off, the winds were good. I feel bad for anyone who couldn't make it. Hopefully, more of the same tomorrow.

Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Jun 04 2007, 10:42 AM

A big thank you to Issac and Dave for 2 things: driving down from Wisconsin and also...
Sunday started out with low to no winds, constantly shifting directions leading to a downpour. Then Issac and Dave gave up and said they were going to head home and in doing so the winds would come. Well thanks guys, due to your sacrifice to the wind gods, shortly after you left, the skies cleared and it was sunny and windy for the rest of the day. Really!

Naperville did a great job of putting on that festival. There was lots of press and radio coverage to bring out the crowds and fun things to do when folks got tired of kites--unimaginable, but it happens. They also took good care of the kite fliers and brought out food and water for us.

This year, we were competing with an air show nearby and that may have reduced our visitors a bit. But I think this festival can really grow. It's a great location and the Naperville Parks District staff are great folks.

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Mon, Jun 04 2007, 12:56 PM

A big :thanks: to everyone who came it was a lot of fun :LogoRevAni: :revspin:

www.chicagokite.com

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Mon, Jun 04 2007, 02:35 PM

It sure was a lot of fun! :mrblue: i agree with Mike, and think that it is a festival that can really grow over time!

i noticed that a local paper that i picked up, The Daily Herald (section 1, page 3, for June 3rd) had an article on the event including a couple of photos of some of the quad kites.
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Chris

Postby Chris » Mon, Jun 04 2007, 06:46 PM

Got a few pics up here- http://www.ikeclub.org/Forums/album_cat.php?cat_id=62

Naperville was a great time! :up: Even with the threat of rain on Saturday and the afternoon downpour on Sunday, it was a good turnout.

Next year will be even better! :mrgreen:

I'll post video of the progressive stack later.... :wink:

[youtube]NIB6-ZmE3Wo[/youtube]
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Mon, Jun 04 2007, 07:47 PM

Mike wrote: Well thanks guys, due to your sacrifice to the wind gods, shortly after you left, the skies cleared and it was sunny and windy for the rest of the day. Really!

Seriously? Well, it's nice to know I have that kind of power. :-D

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Mon, Jun 04 2007, 08:30 PM

Mike wrote: They also took good care of the kite fliers and brought out food and water for us.
..... It's a great location and the Naperville Parks District staff are great folks.

We did not see the park district people out on the big kite field. Someone did bring out four hot dogs on Saturday and
left them with Mike, I believe that was Dave. If not, it was the only contact with park district people on that field.

Dave knows that I have a real problem with a festival where the people running it can not stop by and say thanks. I did not
try to put up more than two pieces on Saturday and one on Sunday after the rain, but it was still a chunk out the the life of
roughly $10,000 worth of gear and a fair amount of work. Having to replace the Octopus was a wakeup call that there
is no such thing as a free flying day. David Gomberg told me early on that every time you pull a big kite out of its bag
it is like setting a $100 bill on fire. I did not keep good enough records with the old Octopus to figure out the exact cost,
$100 is probably a little high.

I did not expect compensation or even food this weekend, I did expect a simple thank you from the park district. This is
one of the things I keep track of in a spread sheet that I use to determine if I want to go back to a festival the next year.

Probably would not have been as grumpy if this was week one insteadof week seven in a row.
Alan Sparling

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Jun 04 2007, 09:07 PM

quite honestly, you and Bob and Mike should have had your butts kissed for the work, effort and visibility that you guys provided...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Tue, Jun 05 2007, 10:25 AM

Guys

Your work was greatly known and was Appreciated :up: unfortunately there some times
is an over site . I can tell first hand you guys were very Appreciated. look who got most of the press. :thanks:
www.chicagokite.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pkrekel

Postby Pkrekel » Tue, Jun 05 2007, 01:58 PM

Uploaded some pictures of the Naperville in the album, take a look

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jun 05 2007, 03:17 PM

Nice shots of Ken, Chris and Babb playing in the water!

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Tue, Jun 05 2007, 08:51 PM

Just a quick comment after reading the newspaper reports. I have no idea who was talking about the amount of insurance some of the big kite fliers carry, but some of us have been advised by our insurance companies not to advertise coverage to avoid becoming targets of insurance scams. One more joy of big kite flying.

As I don't think any of you knew how much insurance I carry, I doubt it was anyone on the forum, but if it was. Please don't do it again
Alan Sparling

mke_dave

Postby mke_dave » Wed, Jun 06 2007, 08:10 AM

Glad we could be of service, :rotfl

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jun 06 2007, 09:00 AM

mke_dave wrote:Glad we could be of service, :rotfl

Maybe next time you could just say you are leaving and see if that fools the wind gods. It's a shame you missed out.

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”